Thursday, February 10, 2011


This will be a itty bitty post, I confess.  It is something I'd like to mention some thoughts about, though.

This is the year of eReaders.  That much is apparent.  I fail to see, though, what is so much better about a digital reading device in comparison to a classic book.  The fact that an eReader is contingent upon the company that produces it seems to reduce the potential longevity of the books you buy.

I can see how "neat" the Kindle is, for example.  I wouldn't mind having one at all.  I would definitely appreciate being able to download thousands of classic books for free - but I would much rather own the actual book.  The advantages to genuine books are that they will last longer. They will preserve the human spirit more permanently.  The words therein won't disappear upon a device becoming unusable.

To me, I would much rather spend my hard earned cash on actual books that will be around long after a digital device becomes outdated and ceases to work.  While I can understand the hype, it seems like it will be very short lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment